Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stranded

2.40 AM, Outside Brussels train station...

Brussels Midi or Bruxelles Zuid, whatever they choose to call it doesn't change the fact that they won't let us in till 04:00AM and we would just have to look at those glass doors or the haunting clock with anticipation till then. Mischelle and I felt like writing and she has already scribbled her thoughts before I started. We felt penning down our experience will preserve it forever and also help us pass the time. Its chilly and I'm thanking the extra layers which are trying their hardest to keep me warm. I also thank my prudence to have brought along some food supplies to munch. They are not only helping pass the time and kill the hunger pangs, but also saving us a lot of money and helping us fight the cold. A 5 hour wait did seem a little long, but I thought to myself and also told Mischelle, "Comeon! Its Brussels! One huge European city.. I'm sure their train station would be as good as our airports and spending 5 hours can't be a nightmare!" However, like a lot of times, my idealistic thoughts betrayed me by painting a picture far from the reality. But, being the eternal optimist that I am, I still look at the hours ahead with hope to bring with them some joy, excitement and much needed comfort.

I have been enjoying every bit of my eagerly awaited 'Eurotrip' so far and yet I am already missing the comfort, familiarity of my own surroundings. Almost every other time I look at the watch, I add 3.5 hours and think of what my folks, friends and someone back home would be doing. Well, maybe the loneliness of the station and the awkwardness of the unearthly hour makes me sound more emotional than usual. But yes, no matter how easy or cheap technology makes it for you to stay in touch, there is always the thought at the back of your mind that they are far far away. The 'Connecting People' illusion doesn't last long. It helps, but not entirely.

This time makes me wonder about the fact that why does excitement in life come and go like a hurricane or a tornado. There is calm before and after the storm, both very discomforting. The initial winds might seem a welcome change from the dull, monotonic and boring weather, but soon it gets too much to handle. You want things to slow down, be able to control its pace, but the cosmos is in no mood to listen or bow down to even your most desperate pleas. I want to be in so many places at once, but the boring rational fool in me reminds me of the impracticality of it. Unfortunately, like on most other occasions, he is irritatingly right. I don't want any more trade-offs, I want it all. That does seem like a hyper-optimistic statement to make when one is desperately waiting for the minutes to pass quickly and the station glass doors to open. But listen carefully the rational fool within me, you better let me be wishful in my thoughts. or I might get hysterical and strangle you. I know I have to live with you, but once in a while I need my own space and you better respect that.

Any reader patient enough to reach here is requested not to get freaked out by the above conversation. I have my 'wierdnesses', just like everyone of you do. I could write at length about my experiences so far in Europe, but I do not intend to scare away the handful of readers I have by writing a post that is so 'yawnfully' long. Maastricht, Amsterdam and the walk to Belgium were three very different and enjoyable experiences and hopefully I can say the same about tomorrow's journey to France. Detailed descriptions might follow if it suits the will and mood of the author.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment