Sunday, July 10, 2011

Starting Afresh, Once Again...

Having so much of free time, I would have thought that I would post more often. But as it turned out, I didn’t. I couldn’t think of priceless pearls of wisdom, nor was something extraordinarily exciting going on and even if there were traces of gloom, they weren’t worth investing my time in documenting them. Yes, my time is precious even if I chose to do nothing with it. Or so I would like to believe. The name of the post is a tribute to my earlier blog ‘Starting Afresh’, which I started during engineering more as a way to discover myself. That process can of course never be complete. But lets just say I don’t find myself amusing anymore. Before starting off with corporate life, I thought it made sense for the naïve, innocent and enthusiastic fresher to express something. Naïve and innocent? Really? Well I, as the author, certainly enjoy the liberty to choose adjectives to describe myself, all of which might not necessarily be true anymore ;)

What are my expectations? Simple. I shouldn’t get bored. Or on the other hand shouldn’t have so much on my plate that it takes up my precious weekends. Intellectually challenging, impactful, meaningful and sustained value creation – All this funda is meant to impress the interviewers and unsuspecting B-School aspirants who might still get awed by these phrases. Sigh. Poor kids. I am certainly eager to start working, being independent and see what this phase of life has to offer, but I certainly am not anymore wearing rose-tinted glasses like I was before my internship last year. It was an eye-opener and a very unattractive teaser into the corporate world. Though I try my best not to generalize too soon with a small sample, but thanks to my internship I think I at least will not have unrealistic expectations anymore.

The thing that seems good at the moment is that I am the only candidate they hired for the profile. So, hopefully I will have something meaningful to do. On the other hand, being the first sample of their experiment to hire from a top-rung school, I have a massive reputation to protect and possibly mammoth expectations to satisfy. However, the higher challenge for me more often than not has been to justify me to my biggest critic, myself. It is rather easy to fool someone else, but not yourself. I don’t want to be in a position where I would want to do that. Ok, I realize its getting on the heavy and serious side. Not really a moment to be gloomy. So, cheers to a new tomorrow, I look forward to earning, saving, then blowing it all up on the things I love!

Adios Amigos, Anand

1 comment:

  1. I totally love the last line- earning , saving and blowing it all up on the things u love.

    Isn't it easier to fulfill other people's expectations than actually sitting down( or standing up) and fulfilling your very own? I hope you totally love your new job!

    ReplyDelete